Thursday, February 25, 2010

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Soup

What do you do when spring break is coming up and you have to get rid of everything in your fridge? Throw it in the Vitamix and have leftover soup! I linked the ingredients in this recipe to other meals I've made in the Vitamix, which explains why I have, for example, only a fourth of a red pepper in my fridge.



8 baby carrots
6 florets of steamed cauliflower 
1/4 red pepper
1 small stalk celery
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 can kidney beans
fiber one crackers (optional)

Dump all ingredients except the beans into the Vitamix. Select Variable 1 and increase speed to 10, then on High. Blend for a few minutes until you see steam coming from the vented lid. Next, select Variable 2 and add the beans. Blend for a few seconds and serve with crackers.



Taste score: 8/10
Likes: I think the secret to this soup's perfectly smooth and slightly creamy texture is the steamed cauliflower. The secret to the flavor is HOT taco seasoning, which kicked up the heat just enough for this otherwise boring soup recipe. I was pleasantly surprised at how full I felt halfway through the meal. Since I couldn't finish it all,  I microwaved some brown rice in the rest of the broth which I will eat tomorrow with a spinach wrap and some cheese. Instant burrito!

Dislikes: I might add corn, steamed carrots, and more beans next time to bulk up the texture. If I had any more vegetables around, I could definitely sneak in some cabbage or more celery.

Nutrition score: 9/10
Is there anything bad for you in this recipe? Well I guess the seasoning and the bouillon have high levels of sodium (we're talking like 20% daily recommended value EACH). So a point off there, only because I don't have much sodium in my diet anyway, and frankly I'll take some salt if it means vegetables taste better!

No comments: