Monday, January 25, 2010

Black Bean Baked Potatoes

2 Russet potatoes

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tomato
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 can black beans
 (an optional sprinkle of cheese for topping)

Scrub the potatoes and cook them in the microwave on high for about 8 minutes (or until you feel them steaming). While they're cooking, place all other ingredients in the Vitamix. Start on Variable 1 and increase speed to 8. Blend for 10 seconds, pushing down the ingredients with the tamper. Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out a golf ball sized portion from the center of each half. Drop in the Vitamix. Drain the can of black beans and rinse well. Drop in the Vitamix. Blend for 10 seconds on Variable 4.

Fill the potato boats with the mixture and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Serve warm.

Taste score: 5/10

Likes:  I love baked potatoes, but usually restaurant quality loaded baked potatoes are made with greasy, fatty fillings. This baby was more flavorful than a plain potato with butter, and the beans added some much needed texture. I was on a baking spree, so I stuck my half in the oven for a few minutes and the skin turned nice and crispy. I'm going to wrap the rest and have them for my brown bagged lunch this week!

Dislikes: The texture really threw me off. Mashed potato with black beans is a combination I wasn't used to "at first bite." I think maybe next time I'll just scoop out the potato and eat it instead of adding it to the mixture!

Nutritional score: 9/10 
There's nothing bad for you in this recipe. The beans and potato are great sources of fiber, and cumin is a good digestive aid. Although potatoes have a bad rep because they are very starchy, they also contain 20% daily value of Vitamin B6, which is responsible for breaking down everything we eat.




No comments: