Monday, January 18, 2010

Strawberry sorbet



2 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup ice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple juice

Add all ingredients to the Vitamix. Select Variable 1 and increase speed to 8. Blend for 10 seconds or until the sound changes. Makes 3 cups.

Taste score: 6/10

Likes: The texture was perfect, and it tasted really fresh. The sorbet was very refreshing, because it didn't taste like that awful artificial sugar-ed up version you can buy in the cartons.

Dislikes: I shouldn't have added so much ice, because it tasted more like strawberry italian ice than strawberry sorbet. Next time I would add some raspberries to make the flavor more interesting.

Nutritional score: 7/10 
Strawberries have a magic chemical called phenol which protects your heart, prevents cancer, and is anti-inflammatory. The only downside to this frozen treat is the added sugar, which you could go without but it would probably taste a little tart.


4 comments:

LFD said...

I can personally attest that this recipe is delicious! Highly recommended!

Toni said...

I'm going to make this now... except I'm going to substitute agave for the sugar. Thanks for sharing!

Heather Boyd said...

Delish -I substituted agave as well, and instead of apple juice (which I didn't have) I added coconut water.

Unknown said...

I followed the recipe as given. Everyone (kids included) loved it! I might try it next time with some substitutions.