Sunday, January 31, 2010

Faux Fried Chicken Fingers


1/2 cup flake cereal- Special K, Fiber One, or corn flakes
1 piece wheat bread (optional)
1 tsp. each salt and pepper
2 egg whites
One package of boneless, skinless chicken

Add cereal, bread, and spices in the Vitamix. Select Variable 1 and increase speed to 4. Blend for 20 seconds, pushing down ingredients with the tamper (I only added the wheat bread because I had an end piece I wanted to use up but it worked out fine). Dump the breadcrumb mixture from the Vitamix into a small dish. Slice raw chicken into strips. Crack egg whites into another small dish and whip with a fork until you see bubbles. Dip chicken strips into egg whites and then the breadcrumbs. Bake for 10 minutes each side 425 degrees.

Taste score: 10/10

Likes: Two thumbs up! Who doesn't love chicken tenders? Usually they're dripping with oil and most of the calories are found in the breading. But using fiber cereal and wheat bread amps up the fiber content, while still retaining the delicious crunch. I ate these with ketchup but I saved half for chicken parmesean and pasta tomorrow.

Dislikes: This isn't necessarily a dislike, but as lover of all things spicy, I might experiment with taco seasoning or hot sauce next time.

Nutrition score: 8/10
I remember reading in the Hungry girl newsletter that cereal makes a great breading for chicken and she's right! I guess this recipe would be better for you if you just steamed the meat and left out the breading, but that's boring. At least in this recipe the breading is fiber fortified!


No comments: